Abscess from hair follicle in the groin area, multiple cysts on the buttocks. Permanent cure?

I have had an abcess from a hair follicle on the top of my inner thigh and where my scrotum meets was pretty big and had a shot glass full of fluid in it. I have also had plenty of cysts on my but always on or near the same location but they were always small and popped on their own. Both my parents have had similar problems throughout their lives. Now I have no health insurance and have either a cyst or abcess slightly bigger than a quarter on the bottom of my butt cheek towards the butcrack.. its never been this big on my but before...what is going on and what can i do
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi dear,

I have gone through the details provided. I may be able to help you better if you could answer the questions below:

- Do you have such bumps on chest / back / face?
- Are the bumps painful?
- Are they skin coloured or pigmented?

If there are similar lesion, you can provide with photographs of the affected region (close up and distant view) it would be very helpful. You can upload them by using feature on right side of this page.

Multiple swellings on buttocks and thighs along with positive family history in parents suggest possible Sebocystoma multiplex. This I feel is the close possibility that explains your bumps.

Sebocystoma multiplex is a condition in which multiple sebaceous cysts occur in skin and condition is genetically transmitted from parents to children. These cysts are asymptomatic and do not cause any problems unless they become large and get infected such as the one you recently had.

Treatment consists of excision of symptomatic lesions only.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Abscess from hair follicle in the groin area, multiple cysts on the buttocks. Permanent cure? 6 hours later
No other bumps besides acne on my face...but the fluid or whatever does not seem to be close to the skin. It's hurts when i sit it apply any pressure to it....its just one cyst I think but its large and in the same area I usually get them just larger. I can't tell the color but the skin over it has become soft..prob almost ready to pop on its own
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 25 minutes later
Hi and thanks again for providing the details and pictures.

Though the images are not very clear unlike what I mentioned in my previous reply, this lump closely resembles folliculitis - a bacterial infection of hair follicle. The following options might be beneficial:

1. To reduce the pain a household remedy will be hot compresses 4 -5 times per day.
This will organise the pus and facilitate its removal.

2. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.
Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting her doctor.

3. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

4. Watch your blood sugars.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us, I will be happy to answer your queries.