Abscess appeared where belly was pierced. Having pain near abscess. Is this serious?

My daUghter appears to have an abscess where her belly was pierced. She has pain near the abscess. How serious is this? Should it be a trip to the ER
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 30 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
It will be better if you mention the size of abscess, any discharge from th area, redness or about the temperature.
Based on the information provided by you, i advice you to clean the area with saline, or with diluted hydrogen peroxide solution, it will help in reducing the infection.
You can use over the counter water based antiseptic cream. It will be better if you go to ER for examination, as i have provided the information without seeing it. In case of any discharge they will take the sample for culture and sensitivity and also plan the best approach for treating it. . I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Abscess appeared where belly was pierced. Having pain near abscess. Is this serious? 19 minutes later
She had discharge. Yellow greenish but no longer has anymore discharge. No warmth to the touch. Redness is apparent. Abscess is size of a pea maybe a tad bigger. She has pain when she bends over.
Treated area with peroxide, warm wash cloth dulited in salt water. No improvement. Sine it is after hours and a weekend not sure if a trip to the ER is high priority or if she can wait to see her doctor on Monday.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Good to hear from you.

As you have mentioned there is no discharge and only little pain she can wait. I advice you to keep the area clean and treat it the same way as your are presently doing.

If the symptoms persists till monday, it will be better if you go to ER, for examination and also they can get the sample of discharge for culture and sensitivity.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.