About five years ago, I had what the neurologist thought

Neurologist
Question
About five years ago, I had what the neurologist thought was a stroke that was found to be in my cerebellum. I had a brain tumor there when I was 8. I am now 57. He said it was probably a result of the scaring after the operation. What really has bothered me more than anything else is the balance issue although it has affected my strength a bit. I do count my blessings. it could have been much worse. I was decent golfer before the stroke and the balance and fine motor skills issue. Golf is a balance dominated sport. I just got back to playing but, balance and hand eye coordination are needed. My neurologist told me that he thought my problems would not get worse, which it hasn't. He did mention that maybe in the distant future stem cells may be used to help, but I am impatient. Is there anything I can do that may help?

Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am afraid there aren't any new advances.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern in particular given your passion for golf.

I am afraid though that as your neurologist told you there isn't any other medication which could help. Some brain cells are lost because of the stroke, once that has happened the only way of improvement is through the remaining cells compensating for the function of the lost ones. That is a process which happens during the first 6 months so by now whatever improvement could be expected from that source have already happened (usually the improvement is only partial and the fact you already have had a brain lesion in the past lessens the chances). So treatment consists only in preventive treatment to avoid other strokes from happening in the future, no treatment available to bring back the dead cells.

Stem cell therapy is still very much under study, but there are still too many issues which haven't been solved, so any stem cell treatment offered would still be in an experimental phase (or a scam).

I am really sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I remain at your disposal for other questions.