Aborted a child. How long does it take to stop breast secretion?

My fiance had an abortion Wednesday I know its early but she's wondering how long will her breasts leak out milk before it stops and how long before she is safe to have sex with no risks
She is 20 and the abortion was done while she was 26 1/2 weeks along. The information I provide will be of myself
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Breast secretion usually takes about 2-3 weeks before it stops completely. Suppression can be enhanced by tight strapping and not expressing the secretions as expression enhances the secretion. Pain due to retention may be relieved using pain-killers. Medication may also be taken to stop milk secretion with a prescription form the consultant.

Abstinence is usually advised for at least 2 weeks after an abortion or termination of pregnancy to avoid infection and trauma. Conception is better avoided for 2-3 months following a termination of pregnancy, hence contraception is recommended.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Aborted a child. How long does it take to stop breast secretion? 51 minutes later
I think I know what you mean. No sex for at least 2 weeks and after that if having sexual intercourse use a condom. If planning on having a child wait 2-3 months after. As far as the lactation goes have her wear a tight sports bra and avoid anything with excitement of the breasts to prevent more milk being formed for 2-3 weeks roughly. Thank you so much I will pass the information on to her. You have no idea how much you have helped us.

Sincerely, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Let me mention one more thing. If the termination was done by a surgery, that is, by a laparotomy, planning for pregnancy should be farther, at least a year. Abstinence in such a case should be for six weeks.

Hope I have answered your query. You are always welcome to contact if you need any clarifications. If you do not have any further queries, you may rate this answer.

God Bless You.