Abnormal endometrial lining in pelvic ultrasound scan. Scheduled for biopsy. Explain the procedure

I had a pelvic ultrasound with an abnormal result for my endometrial lining. There were fibroids but no masses or tumors. The only thing the doctor would tell me was that when the endometrial lining comes back abnormal they like to perform an endometrial biopsy. My paternal grandmother died from late stage ovarian cancer and now I'm reeling. I'm 44 and post menopausal. Her cancer presented at age 73. If I do require a biopsy please explain the procedure.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details of endometrial procedure

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

Should there be any abnormal endometrial finding on ultrasound scans, your doctor wants to rule out any endometrial pathology by doing a biopsy.

An endometrial biopsy is a way for your doctor to take a small sample of the lining of the uterus (endometrium). The sample is looked at under a microscope for abnormal cells. An endometrial biopsy helps your doctor find problems in the endometrium. It also lets your doctor check to see if your body's hormone levels that affect the endometrium are in balance.

Your cervix may be numbed with a spray or injection of local anesthetic.

You will need to take off your clothes below the waist. You will be given a covering to drape around your waist. You will then lie on your back on an examination table with your feet raised and supported by foot rests (stirrups).

Your doctor will put an instrument with smooth, curved blades (speculum) into your vagina. The speculum gently spreads apart the vaginal walls so your doctor can see inside the vagina and the cervix. See a picture of a pelvic examination with a speculum camera. The cervix is washed with a special solution and may be grasped and held in place with a clamp called a tenaculum.

The tool to collect the sample is guided through the cervix into the uterus. The tool may be moved up and down to collect the sample. Most women have some cramping during the biopsy.

An endometrial biopsy takes 5 to 15 minutes.

If you have not had any pain medicine, you may feel a sharp cramp as the tool is guided through your cervix. You may feel more cramping when the biopsy sample is collected. Most women find that the cramping feels like a really bad menstrual cramp.

Some women feel dizzy and sick to their stomachs. This is called a vasovagal reaction. This feeling will go away after the biopsy.

An endometrial biopsy usually causes some vaginal bleeding. You can use a pad for the bleeding or spotting.

If the endometrial biopsy sample is not large enough to see abnormal cells, the test might have to be repeated.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor