Abdominal pain, tight pressure, muscle contracted, cannot slouch, shortness of breath

my husband was lifting a dresser off a lifted truck, and pulled the dresser into his upper abdomen. Then jumped back into the bed of the truck to pick something light up and suddenly he felt a contraction sharp pain, the type of pressure you have when doing a sit-up. His upper abdomen is extremly tight and feels like hes in a never ending sit-up, like the muscle is staying contracted. He can only stand straight up and/or sit completely straight. if he tries to slouch the pressure intensifies. He feels shortness of breath like he can not take a good breath
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

I can understand the pain that your husband is going through.

From his symptoms, it looks like he has pulled his abdominal muscles which have caused a strain of muscles. He should take complete rest and apply cold compresses to the site of pain.

He can also take some Ibuprofen or Diclofenac and muscle relaxants. But they should be taken only under prescription. Local application of muscle relaxant gel like Volini may also be useful. If the pain intensifies then he should get it evaluated from his doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.