Abdominal pain, loose motions, taken Oflox and Normaxin. History of sigmoid colon infection. Further tests?

Question
Hi I am having almost continous nagging pain in my lower left abdomen - i did have semi loose motions for few days - went to gastro doctor yday - he advised me oflox tz and Normaxin RT - had my 1st dose yday night - still have a mild pain - have a history of infection right from my childhood in sigmoid colon - want to know further tests / investigation to be done - what cd be the cause - what preventive actions shd i take
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

From the details, it does look like intestinal infection.And treatment suggest by your doctor is appropriate. But it will take some time to resolve your symptoms.

Important investigation which can be suggested is stool analysis and culture.

Only effective way to prevent such infection is maintaining good food hygiene.

Please ask if there are doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, loose motions, taken Oflox and Normaxin. History of sigmoid colon infection. Further tests? 2 days later
Since the pain persisted for 2 days and also because Doc recommended a full abdo ultrasound i went to my GP who examined and found tenderness in lower left adbomen (where the pain was there) he changed the medicine to oflotas oz and zebiotic and also recommended a normal urine test as the pain was reaching to my back also. Ultrasound report was clear. Urine report indicated Granular Cast present all other parameters are ok.
i will be visiting my gp tomorrow evening - need your advise.
The pain has subsided and now comes at a lesser frequency.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Oflotas oz is again another antibiotic and it is also appropriate for intestinal infection.

Normal ultrasound rules out kidney issue and normal urine report rules out UTI.Granular cast are not cause of current infection and these should not be cause of concern.

Please stick to this antibiotic .Your symptoms will resolve soon.

Regards.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, loose motions, taken Oflox and Normaxin. History of sigmoid colon infection. Further tests? 5 days later
Since the pain had not reduced i went to my GP again who asked me to go to a surgeon. I went back to gastro specialist who examined me and said that it is still infection and pain is due to that only and that my abdomen is very soft and clean. He also rechecked ultrasound and urine which were clear. The pain in the lower abdomen persists and is more in the morning and gradually reduces and during the day goes away or is mild. I will speak to my gastro surgeon today - but wanted your advice as this kind of pain i have not got before for this long.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Since surgeon has seen you and ultrasound is normal, this should relieve most of the worries.

Now a days there are many drug resistant infections, so it might be taking longer for symptoms to resolve.I think you should carry on the treatment as suggested and give it more time.

Take rest,balanced diet and adequate water.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, loose motions, taken Oflox and Normaxin. History of sigmoid colon infection. Further tests? 26 hours later
I spoke to doctor who asked me to stop antibiotics and continue normaxin for 4 more days; The pain is more in the morning when i get up; after few hours it reduces; some times pain is very severe; do i need to do any more tests ?
and pain radiates to the back also -

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 minutes later
I think you need a MRI of spine.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, loose motions, taken Oflox and Normaxin. History of sigmoid colon infection. Further tests? 2 minutes later
i hv uploaded the ultra sound report and urine report also -

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 32 minutes later
I didn't received your ultrasound report.Only images where posted.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, loose motions, taken Oflox and Normaxin. History of sigmoid colon infection. Further tests? 4 hours later
I have uploaded the ultrasound report now - thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 50 minutes later
Both urine and ultrasound reports are fine.Fatty liver is not related to current symptoms and it should not be major concern.

I think you should go ahead with stool examination and culture.