Abdominal pain. Found mass between kidney and colon. Should I go for laparoscopic surgery?

Jul 2016

Dear Doctor,
I have one query, since day before yesterday i am hospitalised at Manipal Hospital, Mangalore due to stomach ache. before i have admited here i was consulted by one of gastrointestinal specialist in Medical college. from there doctor has been told me to do laparoscopic surgery after checking my Ultra sound report,CT scan and colonoscopy test (Doctor said - there is a mass in between kidney and colon therefore surgery required.) after this doctor's observation i went to Manipal Hospital. from here Doctor said there is a mis match between Ultra sound report and CT, therefore we will have to get it done all test again and then we will go for surgery. After this repeated test doctor said no need to do the surgery you will recover after having by medicine bcz problem in your stomach is not due to mass there is a infection. however now Insurance company said i am not eligible to for cash less and i dont understand how do i conveyance them. Manipal doctor said right they will not do the surgery unnecessarily bcz that is not ethical. need your advice what is to done for claim?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 36 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been investigated for pain in abdomen and on the basis of investigations you were admitted in hospital for surgery to remove some suspected mass in Left Iliac fossa.

However, further clinical examination and investigation revealed the mass to be benign in nature and could be treated with medicines.and hence surgery was cancelled. Your insurance company can not deny your claim, as the investigations carried out were necessary to confirm the diagnosis which can be negative. If Insurance company do not agree with your claim, you have option open to go to consumer forum or legal ways. Better to have a legal consultation regarding this.

I would be happy to help you if you have any health related queries.

Thanks with Regards.