Ask a Dentist   »  

Abcess in mouth, white and black in color, gum sores, bad breath. Due to diet, swallowing of batteries or mouth virus ?

Hi. I have a 16 month old baby girl. She has about 4 upper teeth and 4 bottom. She suddenly developed another absess or skin tag in her mouth, on her gums. It almost looks like a 'soft' tooth. It is white and a little black. It is just hanging off of her gums. Then it looks like there is a sore on the front of her gums, or it could be a tooth trying to come through. I am very concerned. I have noticed her having bad breath lately and could not understand why. I will tell you a couple of things that have happened
1. I have been bad and do give her a bottle of milk before she goes to bed. I know this is not good for her teeth but could this have caused the problems on her gums?
2. 2 weeks ago she got a hold of a small calculator and swallowed a button battery. I took her to the ER and it eventually passed within 3 days. Could a leak in the battery have caused this in her gums?
3. At the same time I had been taking her to the nursery at the gym I attend. She developed hand foot and mouth virus and had sores in her mouth. This has gone away.

I am so worried because it could be a number of things. I have scheduled an appointment with a pediatric dentist for Monday (that is the earliest they had). But I cannot sleep without knowing what it could be.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later

I can understand your concern. The problem your daughter is having seems to be due to an oral infection most likely a gingivostomatitis.

Taking a bottle milk or swallowing a button battery is not likely to be related to the smell. It can be due to a bacterial infection superadded to the viral infection she had earlier.

Gingivostomatitis is an inflammation of the oral mucosa and may be associated with prodromal symptoms (fever, malaise, irritability, headache, vomiting, lymphadenopathy) 1-2 days prior to local lesions.

In gingivostomatitis, symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the mouth. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplement. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance. In severe cases, oral antibiotics are also needed.

I encourage you to go ahead with your appointment with pediatric dentist and get all the necessary medicines prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.