AVM of left breast, breast implants. Surgeries caused AVM?

General Surgeon
hello I am 43 year old female that has been diagnosed with AVM of the left breast. What can I do and what can I expect. I have had breast implants in the past, but had them removed because of discomfort. Could any of those two surgery's have caused my AVM of the breast?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 21 hours later

Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) is an abnormal connection between veins and arteries, usually congenital.

This pathology is widely known because of its commonest occurrence in the central nervous system, but can appear in any location or body part, breast is no exception.

Treatment can be symptomatic, or it can involve surgery or radiation therapy.

Depending upon the size of AVM and its sign & symptoms, prognosis varies. In small AVM treatment, generally gives good result.

Embolization, that involves, cutting off the blood supply to the AVM with either coils or particles or glue introduced by a radiographically guided catheter, can be used in addition to surgery or radiation therapy, but is rarely successful in isolation except in smaller AVMs.

If AVMs do not produce or cause any problem or become symptomatic by the age late forties or early fifties, they tend to remain stable and rarely produce symptoms.

In women, pregnancy sometimes causes a sudden onset or worsening of symptoms, due to accompanying cardiovascular changes, especially increases in blood volume and blood pressure.

After post surgical intervention, AVM is very rare, I have not seen even a single such case in my life time or practice of more than 25 years.

‘Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: AVM of left breast, breast implants. Surgeries caused AVM? 7 hours later
"After post surgical intervention, AVM is very rare, I have not seen even a single such case in my life time or practice of more than 25 years"

Dr. do you mean this statement to be about my breast augmentation implants then several years later the removal of them?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 14 hours later
Nice to see you again.

I have performed so many surgeries ( many hundreds) on breast ,not for breast augmentation implant,but I never came across post surgery AVM (arterio venous malfunction).

Breast augmentation surgery don`t involve extra dissection .

This statement holds true for majority of surgical intervention.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”.