A small syrinx at C4 and C5 level, had IHD, hypertension, perdiabetes, hypothyroidism, MRI for cervical spine

A small syrinx at C4 and C5 level

Had IHD in the year 1977 (T wave inversion in V1 to V6) No complications since then
Had mild Hypertension in the year 1980 (under control)
Had prediabetes in the year 2010 (IFG) (under control)
Had subclinical hypothyroidsm in 2011
Mild prostatomegaly in 2012

Medicines now being used
Heart * (from the year 1977)

STAMLO BETA 50 MG 1 Tab a day ( Initally Inderal( 77-81), then
Aten 50 and stamlo 5 mg (81-2006) and then
Stamlobeta 50 mg (2006 to date)
ISMO 10 MG One tab Twice a day Since 1996
Tg Tor 50 MG One tab Once a day after dinner since 1996
ASA 50 MG One tab a day after dinner since 1991
Type II diabets
GLYCOMET 250 MG 1/2 Tab twice a day since Oct’ 2010
Sub clinical Hypothyroidism
THYRONORM 50 MCG One tab once a day since July’2011
Prostin 2 tabs (Homeo) twice a day since Oct’2011
recently undergone MRI cervical spine, for cervical spondylosis. In that the doctor observed a small syrinx at C4 and C5 level in the size of a small rice grain.He asked me to undergo a contrast mri to see if it is a cyst or tumor. I used to have burning sensation in ribs , hands and legs even in the year 1976 when i have taken pain killer, it subsided. I feel this cyst must have been there even from that time. As such can i wait for 3 more months and go for another mri or shall i simply forget this as this asymptomatic
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 44 minutes later

Regarding the presence of syrinx at the level of C5-C6, possibilities could be related to cervical spondylosis (myelomalacia), undiagnosed syrinx since birth and rarely tumors. However, tumors in this region are rare in this age group.

As you are asymptomatic, a follow up scan at 3-6 months with contrast is a better option. If you notice any new symptoms, then an immediate scan is advised.

So I personally feel that a follow up scan with contrast after 3-6 months would be a better option rather than going for a repeat scan at this point of time. However, please consult a physician to rule out cord compression (by cervical spondylosis) which would require immediate attention.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist