72 years old. Noticed black spots on back. How to get rid of this?

I have 3 black spots on my back. They have the texture like a scab but never had any wound for a scab to grow over it. It is almost black in color. I am 72 years old. I have some age spots but they are red. When I first felt it, it was itchy and I scratched itt. That's when I first noticed how black and almost furry it was.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I'm Dr. Christensen.

I understand your concerns. It's always worrisome when we find a new lump, bump or scab on our skin that can't be easily explained. Unfortunately, it's impossible to diagnose such lesions without an examination.
That said, the spots you've described here sound like they might seborrheic keratoses, which the dermatologists like to call "aging changes" of the skin. Seborrheic keratoses are benign growths, but they can look pretty scary, with colors ranging from pale XXXXXXX to jet black and a surface that can get roughened, warty or "furry XXXXXXX One of the classic characteristics of seborrheic keratoses is that they appear to be pasted onto your skin.

I suggest you see your doctor to confirm that these spots are seborrheic keratoses. They can be removed if you'd like -- freezing is the most common technique -- but seborrheic keratoses are harmless. If your lesions turn out to be something else, you and your physician can explore other treatment options.

I hope that helps, and good luck!