71 year old. Started feeling extremely cold in hands and feets. Remedy?

I am a 71 year old female and my hands and feet feel extremely cold each afternoon around 3 - 5. Possible causes? Remedies?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 21 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It can be a sign of anemia. It is common after age 70. It could be die to lack of good appetite or a good diet, or can be as a result of low absorption of B12 from the gut that happens after the age of 70.
It can also be related to low thyroid function. It is common in ladies after the age of 65 to find low thyroid function (it may happen in 5 percent of them).
It is good to ask your doctor to see which one is more probable and ask for a blood test to evaluate it better. Let me know if you have any question. I wish you a good health.