70 years old, wake suddenly from sleep, feel agitated. Take 2 Diazipam to sleep. Any explanation ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My age is 70 over the last ten years very occasionally when i am asleep I wake suddenly, I feel realy agitated sometimes short of breath very emotional, cant be still I forget what I was dreaming of other than that it was so stupid and nonsense I cannot explain it realy stupid and daft, I cannot get back in bed again untill the agitation has gone I take two 2mg Diazipam and stop up until I feel calm, sometimes I have to have fresh air outside I dont know why this happens, I at times feel frightend to go to bed.
I have spoken to my GP but I do not seem to get an answer. Can you explain.
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Suddenly feeling agitation, out of breath without any cardiac or lung disorder, with no history of smoking, alcohol or drugs points towards anxiety disorder.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.