7 week old child, diagnosed with agenesis of corpus callosum. Why was it not detected in amino?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
My son has been diagnosed with agenesis of the corpos callosum at 7 weeks old, why was this not detected in the amnio?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Hello ,

Agenesis of the corpus callosum is caused by disruption to development of the fetal brain between the 3rd and 12th week of pregnancy. It can be caused by genetic, chromosomal anomalies but in majority of cases the cause is not known.

It is usually picked up on prenatal ultrasound to rule out fetal anomalies. Amniocentesis can find any chromosomal abnormality but if idiopathic i.e unknown cause exists then amniocentesis may not find any abnormality.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,

It is usually picked up on prenatal ultrasound at around 20 weeks of pregnancy to rule out fetal anomalies, and if required confirmed by MRI scan.

Amniocentesis can find any chromosomal abnormality but if idiopathic i.e unknown cause exists then amniocentesis may not find any abnormality.

So there are chances that agenesis of corpus callosum may be missed if not suspected or looked for on ultrasound and no chromosomal abnormalities existed on amniocentesis testing.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any more concerns.

Wish you good health.