7 month old. CT scan showed small infarcts in the left lentiform nucleus and caudate nucleus. Any suggestions?

if a ct scan says my 7 month old has small infarcts are seen in the left lentiform nucleus, caudate nucleus and adjacent peri-ventricular white matter. she is in icu on a ventilator please explain the causes and implications long term and short term. her breathing has improved but i noticed in the past reduction in her babbling and a lethargic behaviour
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

It is difficult to conclude from CT scan that there are multiple small infarctions in a 7 months child. They can be normal also as a result of insufficient myelination (maturing) and can improve as child grows. Thus it will not be appropriate to conclude on outcome and cause from CT findings alone.

The reasons for ventilator assistance and her mile stones will be more deciding factors. We have to reassess the baby after recovery from acute stage.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: 7 month old. CT scan showed small infarcts in the left lentiform nucleus and caudate nucleus. Any suggestions? 46 hours later
I glimpsed her docket which has among multiple cerebral infarcts, frontal lobe atrophy and severe bronchopneumonia. what are implications combined especially the last two also could the pneumonia be the cause of what stopped her breathing. ALso if i could get a digital copy of ct scan can i send it to you. will that help in your deliberation

A digital copy of relevant frame of scan will be of help in assessment. You can post the images using the site's uploader.

Perhaps bronchopneumonia is the cause of her current health state. However in view of brain atrophy and findings of multiple small lesions, assessment of mile stones once she improve from critical condition will help us in understanding underlying disease process.

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Thank you.

Dr. Pratap