6.5 year child having breathing problem and abdominal pain. Suffering from enlarged adenoids and tonsils. Worrisome

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son 6.5 yr old son has been breathing with a little effort for the past 4-5 days, and probably also experiences pain in the lower abdomen when he breathes. He's mostly fine in the mornings when I see him off to school, but by evening he seems to be breathing with effort (but noiselessly) and through his mouth. Please note that he does suffer from enlarged adenoids and tonsils. Please help!
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 57 minutes later
Breathing with effort in children usually indicates Low oxygenation or hypereactive airways in lungs causing the child to take deeper breaths , and overwork the respiratory abdominal muscles causing pain .
Such condition can be most commonly seen in case of airborne allergies / mild asthma in children .however it can also occur in infections ( pneumonia ) ,anemia ( severe) or any cardiac illness.
Tonsilloadenoid hypertrophy usually doesnot cause significant breathing problem unless very inflamed ( infected)/enlarged. It usually causes difficulty in breathing at night and sleep apnoea along with mouth breathing in daytime .

Considering that your child has developed this since last 4-5 days it's best to get it evaluated by his pediatrician to rule out upper respiratory or lower respiratory infection causing congestion or an allergic response causing difficult breathing ( wheezing ?) . A physical examination & auscultation of chest for respiratory sounds and if required an X-ray can help the doctor to come to an exact conclusion so that appropriate treatment can be started.

Since the breathing worsens over the day it is most likely due to an allergic tendency or congestion which improves when he is adequately rested .
The treatment would depend on the severity and confirmation of diagnosis , however mild bronchodilator like salbutamol or terbutaline syrups along with antihistamine decongestant syrups ( cetrizine etc ) might help in easy breathing temporarily .
Steam inhalations and warm salt water gargles taken thrice daily may provide some relief and a faster recovery.
Apart from this try to keep him well hydrated with plenty of fluids ( water , lemon juice , soups etc) .
So please do not worry but do get him evaluated by his doctor to assess the exact diagnosis and start symptomatic treatment .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries .
Wishing your child good health.