6 year child fall on the back of head. Sore bump appeared. Should I go to emergency room?

my daughter age 6 had a fall about 2 weeks ago, she feel approx 2 foot off a couch and onto a wooden floor landing on the back of her head, she was fine no concussion or anthing like that but had a very sizeable bump on back of her head about side of half an egg, very painful for her to sleep on and for days after was very incredibly sore, i didn't bring her to doctor as we were on hols in france at the time and i wasn't sure if it was necessary as she was ok apart from the large sore bump. 2 weeks on now and the bump has gone down in size but there is still a slight bump there and its slightly sore to touch it. should i bring her to doctor? she is otherwise well and in good health. thanks
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

If she is active and playful ,there is no need to worry . At the time of injury you said that she had no signs of any concussion, which is good.Also you say that there is a reduction in the size of the bump and now it is only slightly sore to touch. Give it another 2-3 weeks.I'm hopeful that it will be fine.

In case the size of the bump/tenderness increases, if she has any headache/vomiting /altered behaviour etc, please take her to the doctor immediately.

Just wanted to give you some information. I hope your daughter doesn't get bumps on the head again, but children are playful, falls and injuries are inevitable. Prompt application of ice ( as an ice pack or ice wrapped in a piece of cloth) over the site of injury for 2-5 minutes can reduce the appearance of the bump all together or if a bump occurs immediately , ice can prevent a dramatic increase in the size of the bump. Just a tip , in case it happens next time.

For the present bump, just leave it alone unless you see worrying symptoms.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan