6 month old has muscle spasms under cast. How can I help him?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 6 month old son has muscle spasms under his cast how can I help him?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 39 minutes later

I understand that your son is wearing a cast and he has got spasms under it.
Make sure his limb movements below cast level are full. Also do ensure that there is no swelling or color change below the cast which may indicate that blood flow compromise.

Usually in the first few days of cast application there will be some swelling of tissues which would cause this problem.

Try elevating his cast to help in decreasing the swelling.

Its always better to consult your physician who will examine for any serious issues like blood vessel or nerves compression.

Never remove cast by yourself.

I wish your son quick recovery.