56 years with average size penis & urethra. Can I go for self catheterization?

Jul 2016

I am a 56-y/o male with (I guess) an average size penis & urethra (although nobody, including my urologist, has ever measured it). Everybody I request urinary catheter samples from sends me a 14 French (yes, that's a gauge system that works inversely to what you might expect: for example, a 12 Fr. catheter would be 14.0 mm in diameter, and a 14 Fr. diameter would be 14.0000 mm). What's my risk of giving a 12 Fr catheter a try? Big liquid mess and nothing more? I'd love it if the catheter went in easier and less painfully. Whatcha think?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 53 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted, it appears that you have been using 14 Fr Foley catheter for self catheterization. Will you kindly provide me some details comment on your query.
1) Do you have narrow urethra or what is called as Stricture Urethra?
2) Are you self catheterizing at home?

Smaller the catheter less is the diameter and so can be passed with ease. Though you been routinely using 14 fr size catheter that has a diameter of say 14.0000mm, there is no harm in using 12 Fr catheter. The leakage by the side of a catheter is due to spasms of the Bladder.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Follow-up: 56 years with average size penis & urethra. Can I go for self catheterization? 2 hours later
I don't know what my condition is called. Some people call it "shy bladder": I can't pee on command, I can't (won't?) go if I think others are watching or even listening. Hospitalization is a special hell for me. Self-catheterization is the fastest way to get a urinalysis sample out of me; I think I have set and broken world records in terms of the longest time taken to return a specimen. And the odd thing is that I have nothing to fear at all from urinalysis. Every drug in my system has a prescription to go with it; I can't even develop enough urine for my pain management specialist's specimen cup (bones in my spine were damaged in a near-fatal auto accident in 1978).

In the spirit of "no free advertising", I've sent pictures of the open and closed systems I use. Both are from the same company, and I think all of us who watch lots of late-night cable TV will know who it is from their "polished eyelets" campaign. You should be able to magnify the picture enough to read the writing on it. Personally, I love these guys. But anyway ...

Thanks for the answer to my question, that was the answer I wanted to hear. Even fractional millimeters matter traveling in the wrong direction in such a sensitive passage ... polished eyelets and all. Thanks, Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later

Felt very sorry for your misery and admire you for the courage and boldness that you are facing such a situation with happiness.

Good Luck.
Thanks again with Regards.