54 years old. Why am I feeling difficulty to climb stairs?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am a 54 yr. old woman and have always been active. Gradually over the past year I have found it harder and harder to climb stairs, I can't squat down without having to hold on to something to pull myself up. I also have to hold on to something to lift my leg up to put on my pants. I am not over weight. I am 5'2 and weigh 119lbs. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

You might having osteoarthritis of knee and hip.It is a type of arthritis that is caused by breakdown of cartilage with eventual loss of the cartilage of the joints.

It is most common type of arthritis and the major cause of chronic musculoskeletal pain and mobility disability in elderly populations worldwide.

Knee and hip pain are the major causes of difficulty in walking and climbing stairs in the elderly.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Do hip and knee strengthening exercices.
Take diet XXXXXXX in Vit-D &calcium,fruits and vegetables.
Take low fat diet.
Drink ample of water.
Watch your weight.
Exercise regularly

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: 54 years old. Why am I feeling difficulty to climb stairs? 19 hours later
The problem is, I have no pain at all...I just cannot physically get up without holding on to something.

Thanks for posting your query again.

As you had said that there is no pain, so you might suffering from polymyositis. It can be progressive for the past one year.

Polymyositis is a disease which causes the muscles to become weak and inflamed. This disease usually affects the elderly and is more common in women.

It can progressively get worse so that it becomes difficult to walk and to climb stairs.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. you may get blood investigations like Complete blood count, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate or C-reactive protein level and rheumatoid factor, Serum creatine kinase (CK) levels, MRI, ultrsonography or muscle biopsy under his/her guidence to reach the diagnosis.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.