54 years old. Experiencing joint pain and hand pain. Which medicine should I take?

Mar 2013
I have read the complaints of the woman who is experiencing joint pain and hand pain. I am 54 (wt: 116; ht: 5'2") and have been in excellent health, no pain at all, do physical work (yard work, cleaning apts.) and just stopped the pill within a month. During this month, I am experiencing the same pains and discomforts described by that woman. What is in the pill that has prevented me from feeling this discomfort while taking it? Is there a supplement to the pill that would eliminate the aches?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Pills containing hormones like oestrogen and progesterone, and as you are 54 , you are either menopausal or peri menopausal
During this age group, it is common to experience symptoms of hormone withdrawal, as the body stops making these hormones indigenously.
Hence, the pills continue to provide them artificially.
On stopping them, this beneficial effect Is taken off.
As you are 54 , I would suggest you consult an Orthopedic surgeon, to exactly know the cause of your aches and pains, as they range from rheumatoid arthritis to other diseases, and also your gynaecologist, for an examination, and alternatives.
If your Gynecologist deems fit, you can continue taking hormone replacement therapy as advised.

A few links to help you understand further

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.