50 % of the medial meniscus removed from knee. Unable to walk properly and bend knee. Any advice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, i had a meniscectomy 3 weeks ago. Around 50 % of the medial meniscus in my left knee was removed. I used a immobilization brace for a week, followed by a walking stick for a week. Now i am only using a knee cap. Although i am doing my exercises but i am unable to walk properly. I also can not climb up or come down stairs. Basically i am not able to bend my knee beyond 90 degrees. Please advice.

Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

After partial meniscectomy you must follow a rehabilitation program to have the best result.

Do not worry, you will be able to do these things with good rehabilitation program.

I advice you -

Continue exercises as suggested by your doctor or physical therapist. These exercises target increasing your knee ROM, muscular and neuromuscular strength, and cardiovascular endurance.

you can do Aquatic therapy, or swimming, because it encompasses ROM, strength, and cardiovascular exercises while relieving stress on the body. It also significantly improve dependent edema and pain symptoms.

You can take oral intake of glucosamine-sulphate supplement for better recovery and anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation after discussing with your doctor.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery....