5 year old has a low grade fever, diagnosed with URI. Taking Motrin, fever returns after 7 hrs. What to do ?

my 5 year old has a low grade fever for over a week. I took ER , they diagnosed her with URI- my worry is that fever and yesterday she had a fever of 101., I give her motrin it lasts for about 7hrs until her fever returns again, she has no pain, she does not want to eat even pizza or mcdonalds, what should I do?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
It seems that you daughter has a viral infection of her upper respiratory tract. With the supportive treatment she is getting now, she is likely to improve over next 4-5 days.
The motrin needs to be given round the clock. A fever of 101 is not too high. Loss of appetite is normal during such time. Avoid giving her any fast foods. It is better to give her fruits and vitamin C supplements fro an early recovery. Keeping her well hydrated will be helpful.
Symptomatic relief can be found with use of
a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days
b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril
c) Avoiding dust and allergies
d) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.