5 year child suffering from anaemia, dark circles around eye. Not cured by medicine. What to do?

I have a 5 year old daughter who has had anemia for a little over 1 and a half! She has dark cirlces under her eyes, pain in her fingers, toes, shoulders and neck and also a lot of itching (recently in her vagina and anus). Doctors keep telling me to give her iron drops and flintstone vitamins with iron...but she is not getting any better. everytime i take her she has a new infection in her body....i am reallly starting to get irritated at the fact that the doctors aren't looking further into this issue. She starts kindergarten this year and i would really like for her to feel 100% better.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Given your daughter's symptoms, I would definitely be concerned. we are definitely looking at anemia but the cause needs to be ascertained in a 5 year old. Frequent infection could also be suggestive of a weak immune system due to poor eating habits or some other problem, maybe in the bone marrow. In order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Has a complete blood count been done for you daughter? Has any other investigation been done? Can you please upload the reports?
b. Does she eat well?
c. Has she been bruising or bleeding excessively?
d. Is there anything else that you think is significant and you'd like to mention?
e. What is her height and weight?
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: 5 year child suffering from anaemia, dark circles around eye. Not cured by medicine. What to do? 1 hour later
All that I know is that she has had blood drawn and they said she was really anemic and that her white blood cells were really high due to the infection in her blood stream! About a year ago I took her to a heart specialist because she had a heart murmur, but once the infection had gone away so did the murmur! I have no reports. We are always told the same thing and sent home, and her conditions seem to get worse as time goes on. She has breakfast, lunch, and dinner and usually cleans her plate...but she doesn't usually have a big appetite. She doesn't have any bruises or excessive bleeding. She has toe, neck, finger, and shoulder pain....A LOT! She is 46", 42 lbs. I think she is loosing weight, from the fact that her swimsuit is loose now, but when we bought it fit her just right. The dark circles are getting worse...i don't understand a 5 year old with dark circles! She sleeps well, except for those few times she wakes up and comes to my bed (maybe 3 times a month). One last thing when she was 18 months she fell out of our apartment building which was on the 2nd floor, she fell into the bushes and had a little scratch on her back. I rushed her to the er and she had ct scan and it came back normal. That is all the information i have.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
If she is eating properly, there is no reason she should be anemic. I think she should have a complete blood count first. If the high white cell counts and anemia persists, we should be looking for a bone marrow aspiration for her. Please see another physician. I dont think we're looking at simple iron deficiency in her. While her height and weight is normal for her age, she definitely needs a workup.
Please see another pediatrician immediately. Once you have the reports, I'd be happy to discuss them on this forum.
Let me know if you need any more help