5 year child got psoriasis after receiving MMR vaccine. Is it safe to take second dosage of vaccine?

My 5 yr old son received his first MMR Vaccine at 15 months old. Exactly 12 days later he broke out with psoriasis. I am very wary of giving him the second dose, however, his school will not allow him to attend without either the shot or a medical statement stating he has a condition in which receiving the MMR vac would be detrimental. My question is since psoriasis is an immune disorder, should he get the second dose taking into consideration what happened the first time?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

I can understand how you feel about this thing, but believe me, the MMR vaccine has nothing whatsoever to do with psoriasis. You can rest your mind and go ahead and vaccinate him. You can read this page WWW.WWWW.WW and download the small PDF file on the vaccine at the bottom of the page. As per the most recent guidelines, the only reasons why a repeat MMR may not be given are allergy to neomycin or one of the other ingredients of the vaccine. Serious side effects include the very rare occurrence of fits, brain damage and so on, but not the development of psoriasis which is a completely different type of illness unrelated to any vaccine.

Hope this answers your query and makes you more confident of taking your son for the MMR. Remember one thing, though: if he is on steroid therapy, you need to discontinue these for at least 3-4 weeks before giving the vaccine.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher.
Follow-up: 5 year child got psoriasis after receiving MMR vaccine. Is it safe to take second dosage of vaccine? 25 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply and also for the additional link to information.
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 41 minutes later
You are welcome. Please close the query if no further questions and rate the answer and oblige. Thank you.