5 year child getting fever after swimming. Is this chlorine allergy?

This may sound wierd, but for the past two times my 5-year-old child got in the swimming pool, afterwards fever, chlorine allergy?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and based on the symptom i don't think it is chlorine allergy.
Skin sensitivity to chlorine may present with skin redness, tenderness,inflammation at the site of contact, skin rash, scales or crust on the scale etc. But in your child he is only presenting with fever so it is less likely he is suffering from Chlorine reaction.
It will nice if you mention how often he goes to swimming pool, i think the fever may be due to over exertion or fatigue rather than reaction.
I advice you to speak with the swimming pool people, know when they usually chlorinate the water and it will be better if you send your son a day before chlorination to pool as the concentration of chlorine will be least during this days. This is just for you, so that you can feel relaxed and can exclude chlorine allergy.
If the symptom persists i advice you to see child specialist during the episode of fever. I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.