5 year child developed light brown discoloration around pelvis and groin area. Should I be concerned?

My five year old son recently developed light brown discoloration around is pelvis and groin area. It is flat and seems to change color a bit (some days lighter or darker). I should also mention last year he developed a small cafe o latte on his shoulder. Is this discoloration normal or something to be concerned about ? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. As your son already developed cafe au lait spot, this also could be the same. These spots can be seen normally in 10% of individuals. Only if they are more than six in number and more than 0.5 cms at the time of birth it may indicate a development of neurofibroma in future. Otherwise you need not worry and it is best left alone.
Have a good day
Prasad pvs