44 years old. Why am I feeling on and off lightheaded?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I'm a 44 year old male and have been feeling light headed on and off for a week now. I feel fine otherwise and am in good health. Any ideas on cause ?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

On and off light-headedness can be due to a variety of causes. The common causes are:

- High blood pressure
- High or low blood sugars
- Anemia
- Dehydration
- Salt imbalance
- Inner ear problems
- Sometimes, this can be an indicator of a more serious problem like a heart problem or a brain problem (but these serious problems are often accompanied by other characteristic symptoms)

You will need a complete physical examination and a few investigations in order to determine the exact cause of your light-headedness. So, I would advise you to see a your family doctor for a detailed evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist