41 year's old. Diagnosed with frozen shoulder and Noticed hard bump on it. What could this be?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi im a 41 year old woman. I have a hard bump a size of a goft ball on my shoulder for years now and i think is getting bigger. Some times its painful. My dr. Said its harden muscles. I've had shoulder joint problem before was dianosed as frozen shoulder and had surgery 2 years ago. My right shoulder is having the same problem right now i been doing PT but no bump on that side. What could this be and how can i get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

1. This hard bump a size of a golf ball on your shoulder for years might have developed after an injury to the muscle fibers. The injured muscles fibres may get fibrosed and become hard. Your orthopedic will be able to verify this; discuss about it during your next visit.

2. Besides that, in frozen shoulder the tissues around the joint stiffen, scar tissue forms, and shoulder movements become difficult and painful. It can develop when you stop using the joint normally because of pain, injury, or a chronic health condition, such as diabetes or arthritis.

3. Your right shoulder might also develop frozen shoulder. I suggest consulting your doctor for physical examination to confirm diagnosis on right side. You may need X-rays of the shoulder to make sure there is no other problem like arthritis.

4. I advice you to continue physiotherapy, application of heat to the affected area and followed by gentle stretching. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Corticosteroid injections may also be used to reduce pain and swelling.

5. It can take a few weeks to see any progress and it may take as long as 6 - 9 months to have a complete recovery. The physical therapy needs to be intense and to be done every day.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health

Follow-up: 41 year's old. Diagnosed with frozen shoulder and Noticed hard bump on it. What could this be? 29 hours later
Would this hard bump on my left shoulder go away? What are the common treatment recommended for this kind of problem. And how long does it take to go away? Do i need surgery to remove it? What kind of Dr should i see. I mention this to my orthopedic before but he did'nt address it.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

This type of hard bump usually happens when there is a XXXXXXX significant injury to the soft tissues (In your case might be surgical trauma). Most persist for months or years. Some eventually disappear over time, while others either scar over or calicify, leaving a permanent lump.

If you notice that it is getting bigger you can consult a general surgeon. You may get Fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC) or excisional biopsy under his/her guidence.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you good health....