4 years old with fever. Fever not going down by crocin. Other medicine?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
My 4 year old son is having fever, we consulted doctor who had given following medicines:- 1. Amoxicillin and potassium clavulanate oral suspension up. Dose 7.5ml twice daily (not started) 2. Salbutamol sulphate syrup dose 3.5ml (started) 3. Cetirizine hydrochloride and ambroxol hydrochloride dose 5ml. We have started giving medicines except for no 1. Inspite of giving crocin his fever is not going down. Fever comes mostly at evening and is around 101. He also has cold and some cough. I felt that so many medicines are not good for him kindly advice.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 39 minutes later

Fever with cough and cold may be due to bacterial or viral infection. Viral infections are much common than bacterial one. Ideally, one should go for throat swab, complete blood count, and ASO titre. These tests give the clue about the pathogens.

In our country, it is a general practice to give antibiotics empirically in sore throat as lab support is not
good and bacteria are a common culprit.

You have not mentioned the duration of fever. If fever is running for more than three days then I would suggest you to give the antibiotic.

If fever is not relieved by crocin, do tepid sponging this will help in bringing down the temperature.

I hope this answers your query well.
I will be glad to answer if you have any further query.

Wish him early recovery
With regards