4 years child having lazy eyes. Will it be cured by spectacles or should I go for surgery?

helloo dear all best doctors, I'm XXXXXX from Indonesia. Regarding my 4years little girl got lazy eyes since she was a baby. but more to the left eye. only when she consentrate seeing something then she got lazy eyes, some times on the right, but more to the left. then back to normal. she done weared eye patch since 3yrs, then my doctor ask to use a spectacles 'coz she had +8(right) an +9(left ).. some doctors said can do surgery immediately before she get in to 5 years./ some said continue with the spectacles she will recover soon , surgery is the last thing to do... Dears all the doctors here pls help me . what should i do? i trully appreciated very much for all your kindness.. warm regards, XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 2 hours later

Your daughter most probably has amblyopia (lazy eye) in both eyes.
Encourage her to wear spectacles all the time. Her vision will gradually improve. Surgery is the last option and should only be done after her vision has fully developed (accurate vision assessment can be done only after 5 years of age).

Sometimes the eyes will become straight after the vision improves. In such a case, surgery will not be required. Hence, you should give ample time for the vision to develop.

Hope I have answered your queries.
I will be available to answer any further queries, if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah
Follow-up: 4 years child having lazy eyes. Will it be cured by spectacles or should I go for surgery? 1 hour later
To. Dr. XXXXXXX Shah

Thank you very much for your reply Doctor. XXXXXXX . I trully appreciated very much.. hope my daughter will recovered soon. if you have whats app / line , may add me at +0000..

Wish you all the best

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 35 minutes later

Glad to know that I have cleared your doubts. Hope your daughter's vision improves fast. Do write to me if you have any further queries in the future.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah