4 year child having little bumps on legs. Looks like bruise. No pain or itching. What could be this?

My daughter is 4 years old. She has 4 or 5 small hard little bumps on her legs, looks like a bug bite but the middle is a hard little bump. They almost look like they have a head on them (the bumps). Today we noticed that around the hard tiny bumps it is bruised looking. She is not complaining of any pain or itching but it looks so strange, never saw anything like that before and my husband is concerned.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 8 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on the information and the picture it either appears an insect bit or the contact dermatitis.
Contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore, or inflamed after direct contact with a substance. It can occur, while playing they will come in contact with some thing that might be responsible.
Treatment for both includes washing with lots of water and soap to remove any traces of the irritant that may remain on the skin. You should avoid further exposure to known irritants or allergens. Place ice wrapped in a cloth on the affected area. Repeat after every 10 minutes.
Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis. Wet dressings and soothing anti-itch (antipruritic) or drying lotions can be used to reduce other symptoms. Observe for signs of infection like pain, redness or swelling.
I advice you to follow the above mentioned approach, she should be fine in a day or two. If the symptom persists or the severity increases i advice you to see dermatologist for examination and exact diagnosis.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.