38 year old obese with hypertension. Taking concor, etizola and atorvastatin. Are these safe medications?

Yes husband z 38 years old nd 140 kegs weight...As almost 3 years back we hv gone to cardiologist for his routine he has high bp prescribed him concor am 5 twice a day ,etizola.5 half tablet twice a day XXXXXXX 50 mg once,logout sr once,prezzopress XML 5 once,Atorvastatin ez 10 once....which he's having from last 3 years non stop...plz let me kn z it safe?

Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
To answer your question yes long term use (which is often required in this disease) of the medicines you specified is safe. I find Atorvastatin in the list, therefore, my surmise is your husband has increased. That makes two of the possible 7 modifiable risk factors for coronary artery disease. Therefore, he should be screened for these. Namely 1. Hypertension 2. High bad Cholesterol (total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides) 3. Low good cholesterol (HDL if less than 40 mg% in a man) 4. Smoking 5. Diabetes Mellituts 6. Obesity and sedentary life style. 7. Stress and Type A personality that is manifested by anxiety, agitation, anger, excessive assertiveness. So, you ought to be following your doctor on 6 monthly basis at least. Good Luck.
Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover