32 week pregnant. Having high sugar level. What are the effect on the foetus?

I am 32 week pregnant. my sugar level is as below
fasting - 150, after 2 hours of breakfast - 212, after 2 hours of lunch - 175 and before dinner - 156
doc has advised me 8 units of insulin before breakfast, 8 units of insulin before lunch and 6 units before dinner.

kindly tell me what effect of high blood sugar will be on my unborn baby & how can I control my sugar level
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

The major complication of the high blood sugar on the fetus is that these women often have children who larger than they should be. This leads to complications at the delivery stage and often we need to intervene. Other complication to baby are hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels), growth abnormalities, polycythemia (increased red cell mass), neonatal jaundice and hypomagnesemia.

The control of blood sugar level is achieved by drugs along with diet control and life style modification. Your are already on insulin therapy so you need to maintain diet control like avoid carbohydrate containing diet like potatoes, wheat, certain fruits XXXXXXX in carbohydrates. XXXXXXX is the safest fruit in diabetes. The sugar levels are best maintained with daily physical activities so make a routine of daily exercise or walk which significantly reduces blood sugar levels.

Also be cautious about the use of insulin as it make cause hypoglycemia, so after taking insulin take your food and whenever your experience symptoms like dizziness, vertigo, nausea and profuse sweating especially after getting insulin, take immediately something sweet to regulate you glucose levels,

If your blood glucose levels are still not controlled despite of all the measures then talk to your physician about the adjustment of insulin dosage.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Follow-up: 32 week pregnant. Having high sugar level. What are the effect on the foetus? 33 hours later
thanks for ur answer.

I just have one more query.The Ultra sound report that I just received states: "Pregnancy of 33 Wks 3 days with Mild Developing IUGR with normal Doppler indices".

Please provide me details of what the above statement means and what are the consequences on both mother and child.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

IUGR stands for intrauterine growth retardation. The ultrasound have reported that foetus is developing the growth retardation which can be further simplified that the baby is behind the growth status that a 33 week baby should have and shows late features of maturity but as the ultrasound reports mild developing so that can be controlled by maintaining your blood glucose levels to avoid any possible complication.

The Doppler study shows the blood flow throughout the body which shows normal indices which means the development of the circulatory system is normal with no complications yet.

Follow-up: 32 week pregnant. Having high sugar level. What are the effect on the foetus? 10 minutes later
thank you so much Sir.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 12 minutes later
It’s always been my pleasure to help my patients.

You are always welcome.

If you have any query in the future, you can contact me on

Thanks and Regards