30 weeks pregnant, short femur, dwarfing baby, Down's syndrome negative

Question
HI
I AM RIGHT NOW 30 WEEK PRAGNENT AND I AM VERY WORRY ABOUT MY BABY BECAUSE ON THE FIRST ULTRASOUND ON 20 WEEK THEY FIND OUT THAT THE BABY HAVBE THE SHORT FEMUR IN BOTH LEAGES I DID ONE MORE ULTRASOUND WHEN I WAS 28 WEEKS AND I FIND OUT THOSE RESULTE BPD 76mm HC 271mm AC 239mm AND FL 48mm SO THE BABY HAS THE HAD TWO WEEK BIGER AND THE FEMUR TWO WEEK SMALLER .
MY CONCERN IS THAT HE WITH THOS RESULT SHOULD BE A DWARFIN BABY BECAUS THE DOCTER SAY THAT THE DOWN SYNDOM SCREAN WAS NEGATIVE BUT THEY DON'T TELL ME SOMTHING ABOUT THE DWARFING THE ONLY TELL ME THAT HE HAS THE SHORT FEMUR BUT THE ATHER MEASURMENT ARE FINE BUT AS I TOLD YOU I SEE THAT HE HAS AND THE BIG HAD PLACE TELL ME SOMTHING ABOUT THIS PLEAS AS SOON AS POSSIBEL
ARE ALL THE MESURMENT THAT I GIVEE TO YOU FOR MY BAY NORMAL OR ABNORMAL WAT DO I ESPECT FFROM THIS BABY.

I LIKE MY DOCTER BUT SHE NEVER TOLD SOMTHING BED FOR MY BABY SHE ONLY TELL ME THAT HE WILL BE THE SMALL BABY BUT NEVER DWARFING
BUT I AM REDING ALOT INFORMATION THAT MAKE ME CRAZY SO PLASE YOU AS SPECIALIST COULD YOU ANSWER TO ME
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

At 30 weeks of pregnancy all the limbs of the fetus are enough developed to comment about shortening of a particular long bone like femur. The shortening of femur is commonly associated with Down's syndrome. You have already tested negative for Down's syndrome.

Slight shortening of femur without any other anomaly in the fetus most commonly manifests as a short stature child but it is not necessary that the effect will be long lasting. Height of the child mostly goes after the family.

With good diet and proper protein and calcium supplements given after birth the child will catch up with the growth and might develop normally with a good height after one year of birth.

It is not necessary that this will show any long term effects on the baby.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.