3 years old having loss of appetite and lack of sleep. What should be done?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my 3 year old son only sleeps 7-8 hours a day. Some days he slepps like 9-10 hours but most day he sleeps so less. He eats too less. we are worried about his overall growth. He is quite hyper. If he says 'No' he is very hard to turn around.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 43 minutes later

I understand you are concerned about his overall growth. Overall growth implies
1. Physical growth
2. Motor development
3. Psychological development

I have some questions for you:
- What was his birth weight and present weight?
- Has he been developing normally since birth like sitting at 7 months, walking by 1 year, talking few words by 18 months and now playing with cubes, talking sentences etc.?
- Is he active and playing with other kids, looking at your face and interacting, interested in surroundings, etc?

If the answers are yes, then your child is normal!

Regarding your questions, sleep for 7-8 hrs is ok. Kids differ in their sleep pattern! If he is OK with this sleep, one need not worry.

Regarding the other problem of not listening, this is the right age to train and make him accept "NO" by repeated gentle words and reminders and encourage him with small rewards (gifts and kisses and hugs) when he obeys you. Also let him interact with some other kids (hopefully well trained kids!) from whom he will learn "give and take!"

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

All the best
Dr Uma