3 year old having cough. Noticed bleeding gums while breathing. Any cure?

3 year old with a cough, coming from the chest - sounds like it is a mucus filled cough, this has been happening for about 3 days, cough seems to be painful - NO runny nose, not sure if this is related but I noticed her gums were bleeding this evening when brushing.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Upper respiratory tract infection, which comprises from a running nose to a bad throat, is very common at this age in children. The infection can spread to the lower respiratory tract infection, as it does not respect boundaries, and give rise to inflammation of the larynx and trachea and give symptoms as described by you. It would be advisable to put your child on decongestants and steam inhalation for the thick mucus to be expelled. Please consult her pediatrician to get these prescribed.

As regards bleeding from the gum, it is not related to the infection. Oral hygiene or improper brushing techniques are important causes of bleeding.

I hope I have clarified your doubts and given you the proper guidance. Do write back for further clarifications.

Wishing your child an early recovery.

With regards.