3 year child having glossy eyes, hoarseness, congestion, cough and fever. Should I give antibiotic?

Hello I have a three year old who has been having glossy eyes hoarseness conjestion and a cough at bight he seemed like he was warm and running a fever last night I gave hime Motrin and he went to school today he is not running a fever but was wondering if he needed antiotics for the cough and thick XXXXXXX moucous coming out,his nose this morning
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Based on the symptoms you mentioned I suspect your child to have a viral fever.

Yes, there would be need for antibiotics , as in most viral fevers the local immunity in the respiratory system is lowered making it prone to bacterial infections.

Empirical Antibiotics would be essential to prevent such secondary bacterial infections.

Do discuss with his treating doctor and get a hand written prescription for a formulated dosage of antibiotics.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.