3 year child having bumps on back of tongue. What should I do to get cured?

Hi my three year old daughter has red bumps on the back of her tongue. No other symptoms and no fever. No complaints. I just noticed them a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed them before so maybe new? I help her brush her teeth and haven't seen them in the past.
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
I suppose back of tongue, by which you mean is lower surface of tongue. If so then there are two possibilities 1. normal venous are tortuous over this surface and may at times get over distended and may look like bumps. 2. aphthous ulcers/tongue bites which at times may be painless may look like bumps. Both of these if donot cause any problems, need not worry. But if you find them growing double in size or causing any difficulty, visit a doctor.
This has nothing to do with brushing.
A picture may give a more clearer image for interpretation.

having bumps on the floor of tongue are often normal . They are called sublingual salivary gland.

Also having bumps on the back parts of tongue over upper surface of tongue are also normal, they are also glands- papillae and lingual tonsils. Sometimes they get inflammed due to infection or hot fluid and may look more red or swollen.

I hope this answers your query.
Do ask if any further info required.