3 month child passing small stools. What is the problem and what should I do?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 3 months old daughter is passing small small stools and crying every time she passes stool or urine. She passes not of gas as adults do especially mid night and cries a login pain. Please advice what is the problem and what should we do. Following medicines have been given on different occasions however no permanent cure or improvement : colicade, colimax, vitazyme, rinifol, mextra and Bonsian
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 hours later
I understand your worry about your daughter.
I would like to know what is the food you're giving your baby. At this age, only breast milk is sufficient for the child.
The breast fed infant may pass stools 5-6 times or more per day and it will be yellowish, semisoft,like a scrambled egg and this frequency is normal.
Colicks are known to occur in the first 3-6 months and one of the causes is swallowed air when feeding and crying.This is common and not a cause of worry even though it is very disturbing to handle. Many of the colic medicines you have given are of only partial use!
Try to follow the techniques given below
1-During feeding and after feeding, nicely burp the baby
2-if you are using the bottle, hold the bottle in such a way that there is no air at the neck of the bottle(prop up the bottle by 45 degrees)
3- Keep the baby in head up position for atleast 10 minutes after feeds.
Let me know if you have any more questions
Wishing you all the best
Follow-up: 3 month child passing small stools. What is the problem and what should I do? 8 hours later
She is only breast fed. She has been given rinifol thrice in three months. Please advice if it is safe to give rinifol in such a short span. Could you advice a safe colic medicine for her colicaid and colimax did not suit her. Is it safe to give bonnisan everyday . Another issue I have is sometimes she sleeps during feeds if I entry and burp her in anyway she gets up and does not sleep for hours after that
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Rinifol contains some vitamins, zinc and lactobacillus.

It is harmless- you can give but it may not be of much use for colics.

Regarding the colic medicines, as I wrote earlier, nothing will work wonders. All products are same.

Bonnisan is like gripe water, which they used to use from a long time-no need to give it daily. Use when necessary.

If your child is sleeping, please do not wake him up for burping.

Keep in head up position for a few minutes and then put the baby to sleep.

I hope this helps you.

Follow-up: 3 month child passing small stools. What is the problem and what should I do? 1 hour later
Just wanted to check I Amon an antibiotic called ceftum500 does that pass into breast milk and cause uneasiness I am also taking bcomplex calcium and ironsupplements can I burp the baby by putting her on one of her sides after the feed if she is sleeping.could you also advice me the dosage of maxtra for a 3month old as she has developed a little cold. Can maxtra and rinifol given together the same day. Also is bonnisan also harmless or could have any long term side effects.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later

Yes, ceftum does pass into breast milk and can affect a nursing infant.

On the side position, she will not burp but it is good if she has the tendency to posetting (regurgitating milk). Instead you can just keep the head end slightly elevated.

Rinifol can be combined with cold medicines.

But if the cold is mild do not medicate the baby. The dose of maxtra syrup should be 1 ml twice a day and not more. Please get the baby examined by a paediatrician in person before you give any medicine.

Bonnisan contains mostly herbal preparations-as allopathic doctors we cannot comment about long term effects!

All the best, I appreciate your concern for the baby!

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate the answer and write a review.

Could you advise if niftas also pass into breast milk I have been given this for uti.will renifol take care of this
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later

Niftas passes into breast milk in trace amounts.

Renifol has no action in this.

Hope I answered all your queries.
If there are no further follow ups, please close this discussion.