3 month child having stringy stool with white spots. Should I go for medical check up?

General Surgeon
My 3 month old baby had XXXXXXX yellow mucous/ stringy stool with white spots throughout. Usually has dark XXXXXXX soft stool. Seems to be more in pain, arches his back and crying, more painful wind than usual. Should I get him checked out, what could it be
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 7 minutes later

the description of baby arching his back and crying while passing stool, more painful wind than usual at age of 3 to 4 months of age, may be due to intestinal intussusception. But final diagnosis can only be made after examining your child.

I would also like to know one more thing, does the baby stops crying after he has passed stools?

I would advise you to XXXXXXX a paediatric surgeon near your place who can examine and advise further investigations if needed.

Hope I have answered all your doubts. Feel free to ask any more questions you have in mind

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: 3 month child having stringy stool with white spots. Should I go for medical check up? 1 hour later
He doesn't cry during passing stool, more during drinking his milk or changing his nappy, really random times. He has had mucous before in the stool, dr said it was coz he had a cold and he is swallowing mucous, but not the white specks and no recent cold. Sleeping soundly can it wait till morning or Should I take him to the ER. Thank you for time
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 1 hour later
It would be better to examine before making any diagnosis.. I would advise, if he is comfortably sleeping at present, to wait till morning and consult a paediatric surgeon.. Wishing a speedy recovery

Dr. Rajat Gupta