28 years old. Found 233 sugar reading. Feeling nauseous and light headed. Is it dangerous?

Jan 2013

I was using my fathers glucose machine testing my blood because I wasn't feeling well and it said my sugar was 233 and I have never been a diabetic and I'm 28 years old. Is this dangerous? Note I have been checking lately and it has been btwn 140-200 for 2 weeks now. I am overweight. I am concerned becasue I an nauseous hazey and light headed and I just don't feel right.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Are you an overweight?
As you have positive family history of diabetes and a known case of PCOS, there is high chances of getting diabetes.
Blood sugar take randomly at any time is suggestive of diabetes.
You should consult with physician/ endocrinologist and should go for fasting & postprandial blood sugar.
Fasting blood sugar < 100 mg% and postprandial < 140 mg% indicates normal blood sugar.
Fasting blood sugar > 126 mg% and postprandial blood sugar > 200 mg% indicates diabetes.
If fasting blood sugar is in between 110 - 126 mg% then it indicates impaired fasting glucose & if postprandial blood sugar 140-200 mg % then it indicates impaired glucose tolerance.
As you have blood sugar in between 140-200 then there is chances of impaired glucose tolerance.
Yet, you should go for blood sugar fasting & postprandial.
You should also consult with physician for your vague symptoms.
You may have infectious disease as infections are common in diabetic patients.
Put your views also.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava