27 years old. Have less facial hair growth. Is there any treatment available?

Dermatologist
Question
How to grow moustache and beard, i am 27 still my facial hair are not growing and in crowd i look the youngest and feel embrassed.......so any tips or treatment is available
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
The moustache and beard growth is under genetic and hormonal contact.
Genetic factor is the inherited one.If your father and grandfather had very few facial hair or late facial hair growth then it is likely that you will have it also .
Hormonal factor is dependent on testesterone level.
You need to get your testesterone level checked.If it is low it can be a cause of lack of facial hair.You can be given testesterone injections which can cause beard growth in your case.
The cause needs to be determined first before suggesting treatment.
Also I would like to know-
Do you have other features normal like pubic /axillary hair?
Do you have normal genital development?
Do you have normal voice and all?
Did your father have similar pattern of facial hair?

Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
I will be available for follow up.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology,

Follow-up: 27 years old. Have less facial hair growth. Is there any treatment available? 4 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your advise. My Father and Grand Father had a very good facial hair, infact my younger brother who had is facial hair at the age of 19. Its only for me my facial hair is very less in our whole family. Other Pubic hair are good. Lower part of my body i.e. below hip hair growth is good. Only above part like chest and facial hair i dont have much hair.

my voice and other growth are common like other man. Voice is hard and have normal growth except my facial hair everything is fine with me.

Facial Hair also i get but is very less. I have hair only on chin and moustache like a chinese only in corner it grows and if i shave i get pimples . So need your suggestion.

If you can give me our contact details or address of clinic i can visit you. So that you can see me physically and advise further......

Thank you and awaiting for your futher assistance.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for details.
You need to get a endocrine work up get done.
You need to get few blood test done.
The tests include
-Serum free testesterone
-Serum total testesterone
-Free T3,T4 ,TSH levels
-DHEAS level
Depending on the test results you can be started on testesterone therapy .This can grow facial hair .
You need to consult a endocrinologist for this process.
With proper medication you can have normal hair growth.
Hope this helps.
DR Sudarshan

Follow-up: 27 years old. Have less facial hair growth. Is there any treatment available? 30 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your suggestion.

Can you kindly help me refereing an good specialist endocrinologist doctor in and around Bangalore, Karnataka. So that i can follow with him.

Awaiting for your suggestion.

Thanks
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Dr XXXXXXX is a qualified endocrinologist for such problems in bengalore.

DR XXXXXXX MD, DM (Endocrinology), Columbia Asia Hospital
Kirloskar Business Park, Bellary Rd, Columbia Asia Hospital, Hebbal, Bangalore, Karnataka 0000
077 95 0000
You can undergo the investigations and treatment under his consultation.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for up.
Regard
DrSudarshan.