26 year old. Is it possible to increase height?

hi dr,my age is 26 my weight 38 height 5 inch how to increase
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be possible to increase your weight and muscle mass but unfortunately not your height.
Height is mainly determined by genetics. During childhood and adolescence, there is an area at the end of the bones in the legs and arms that is involved in adding bone or increasing length.
Near the end of adolescence , this area stops making new bone and does not allow for any increase in height. This is the reason that using growth hormone in children can cause them to grow taller but if it is used in adults the same thing does not happen.

You can, however, increase your weight and muscle mass. This can be done by increasing the amount of calories that you use.
Calories are the energy that is found in food and drink.
You can increase the amount of calories by using high calorie foods such as nuts which are high in calories, adding butter or high calorie dressings to your salads and vegetables,increasing the amount of foods used with each meal and using snacks such as cheeses, peanut butter.
If you increase your protein intake ,it will help with your muscle mass. Protein is found mainly in meats but can be found in peas and beans for example.

Doing strength training exercises with weights will also help with muscle mass.
The use of yoga and pilates is thought to strengthen core muscles and by improving posture, may give the appearance of increased height.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions