25 year old. Trying to gain weight. Is this possible?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
hi doctor my name is XXXXXXX i am from bangalore India. Is der any chances i can grow taller. My height is 5.4 or 5.5ft i am not sure ans my age is 25yrs.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern regarding your height and the final adult height is determined by genes, parents height, nutrition, and the pubertal changes.

Growth in height occurs till the age of 18 years of age.

Growth in height stops at the age of 18 years in boys.

Once the growth in height stops after 18 years, there are no chances in increasing height by using any medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: 25 year old. Trying to gain weight. Is this possible? 13 minutes later
but i have heard ppl grow aft 25 also doctor

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

It is not possible to grow in height at the age of 25 years.

In boys the growth in height stops by the age of 18 years and after this age the height is constant.

After this age, there is no medication available to increase the height.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to approach me.

Regards.

Follow-up: 25 year old. Trying to gain weight. Is this possible? 5 minutes later
but on the websites they say by usin HGH capsules wil have 2 to 3 inches gain doctor.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The role of Human growth hormone (HGH) to increase the height is limited to the age below 18 years of age i.e. before the age of fusion of epiphyseal growth plate which is responsible of the increase in the height.

And growth hormone is given in short stature with growth hormone deficiency and in syndromes like XXXXXXX

And one thing to note is Human growth hormone is available in injection form and it is not available in capsule forms.

What I advise you is don't get attracted by those websites which are falsely claiming about the increase in the height.

But you can take a qualified Endocrinologist consultation to discuss your concerns about the height.

Regards.