24 weeks pregnant. Scan showed low lying placenta. Will this cause any problem?

Mar 2013
now i m 24wks pregency and my placenta lying in middle and lower.any problem in future.

Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later

Placenta previa is a condition in which the placenta grows in the lowest part of the womb (uterus) , instead of the normal upper portion, and covers all or part of the opening to the cervix.

During pregnancy, the placenta moves as the womb stretches and grows. It is very common for the placenta to be low in the womb in early pregnancy. But as the pregnancy continues, the placenta moves to the top of the womb. By the third trimester, the placenta should be near the top of the womb, so the cervix is open for delivery. So, please post your exact ultrasound report for me to give you correct advice, and also do not worry as by the third trimester, the placenta migrates upwards in most cases.

The various degrees of severity in this condition are.

Marginal: The placenta is next to cervix but does not cover the opening.

Partial: The placenta covers part of the cervical opening.

Complete: The placenta covers all of the cervical opening.
So, risks depend on the exact report of your ultrasound.

Placenta previa occurs in 1 out of 200 pregnancies. It is more common in women who have:

Abnormally shaped uterus

Many previous pregnancies

Multiple pregnancy (twins, triplets, etc.)

Scarring on the lining of the uterus, due to history of surgery, c-section, previous pregnancy, or abortion

Women who smoke or have their children at an older age may also have an increased risk.

The main risk of placenta previa is sudden bleeding from the vagina.
Bleeding may be severe. It may stop on its own but can start again days or weeks later.

Other risks like preterm labour, growth restriction of baby, abnormal position of baby, increased chances of Cesarean section, increased blood loss after delivery etc are also seen.

General precautions are rest, avoiding exertion, strain and sexual activity, emergency visit to your obstetrician at the slightest bleeding or spotting, following proper medical advice to avoid preterm labour etc.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: 24 weeks pregnant. Scan showed low lying placenta. Will this cause any problem? 1 hour later
thanx doctor.

plz find details of scan report

presentation- unstable
placenta- Anterior wall of the uterus . middle and lower segment.marginal placenta grade I maturity.No placenta previa.
As I mentioned in my previous answer, marginal placenta is the least XXXXXXX as it does not cover the cervix at all ( mouth of uterus ) .
In 90 % of cases, it migrates to upper segment totally by third trimester.
Please do not worry.