23 weeks pregnant, during anomaly scan was told to undergo fetal echo test. Whom to consult?

Apr 2014

Hello Doc,

Good morning. i m 23 weeks pregnant. when i did anomaly scan during 21st week radiologist told us to undergo fetal echo when i reach 24th week. i asked my gync to whom to contact to conduct this scan. she told ask with same radiologist. and that radiologist was ready to do fetal echo. i did some surfing on net and understood its better to get it done with pediatric cardiologist. I m confused . kindly guide me.

Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ideally it is done by pedaitric cardiologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Fetal ECHO should be ideally done by pediatric cardiologist as they are more trained in this procedure and have more expertise.
Problem is only availability of pediatric cardiologist in your city as they are few in number.
If you are able to contact them then it is ok otherwise it can also be done by radiologist. Radiologist also have great exposure in this field.

I want to know why it is so necessary? Generally,radiologist can easily detect the four chamber anatomy of heart and normal Doppler flow in heart chamber and vessels doesn't require further investigation. Fetal echo is advised in special circumstances like family history of congenital heart disease, maternal exposure to certain drugs, chromosomal abnormalities ,diseases associated with mother like diabetes mellitus, other fetal anomaly detected in routine antenatal USG.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wish you and your baby all the best.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care