2 year 2 month child having on and off red patches on tongue. What should I do?

HI Dr.
i son is 2 years and 2 months old .he has red patches on his tounge , and these patches apperes for 3 to 4 days nad then disappeares after some days they red patches again came ,
pls tell me whatto du.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

Red patches on the tongue in a 2 year old can have varied reasons ranging from geographical tongue, vitamin deficiency to thrush infections.

A careful examination is all what is needed to rule out infective cause. So I encourage you to consult your pediatrician. Anti fungal medicine can be taken orally and locally if needed.

In the meanwhile maintain good oral hygiene. Clean the tongue with clean handkerchief / tongue scraper. Plenty of fruits and vegetables are also essential.

Hope I answered your query. If you have further queries or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: 2 year 2 month child having on and off red patches on tongue. What should I do? 20 hours later
dear Dr thank for my query ,
actually i have consulted with my pediatrician .she told me that this is due to vitamin b12 deficiency .and we r given vitamin b12 syrup from last 15 days ,
now red patches comes but disappeared within two days .earlier it takes 4 to 5 days to disappeared . anyways i will go to my pediatrician again .

Thanks for write back.

Usually we do give vitamin B complex in such type of cases as B complex deficiency does give this type of picture.

In this case as I told you, may be a typical case of Candidial infection. It may require anti-fungal treatment orally and locally to cure this problem.

However, as you are consulting pediatrician, problem will be solved.

I hope I answered your query.

If you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.