18 days old has fever and cold. What to do?

Hi doctor,
My baby girl is 18 days old. She has 98, 97.4,97.6 at 19.20 hrs, 19.35 hrs, 20.33 hrs respectively, when taken under arm.
Does she has fever, if yes what medocine can be given to her and she has cold too.
Please suggest.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax,there is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:

First I would like to congratulate you on arrival of new family member.

I can understand your concern.Relax there is nothing to worry.

Normal range of axillary temperature is 95.9 to 98.6F.

I will suggest you to monitor few things;

-her activity.
-her urine output.

In case there is any alteration in any of these I suggest you to get her examined

by pediatrician and self medication should not be done.

For blocked nose saline nasal drops can be given 2 to 3 times especially before

Hope I have answered your query,In case you have any further question I would

be glad to help.

Wishing your little XXXXXXX good health.

God bless...
Follow-up: 18 days old has fever and cold. What to do? 23 minutes later
Thankyou for prompt reply.
Yes, for last 2days she is feeding for not more than 6-7 mins and sleeps,then wake up after 15 mins and again ready to be fed.
She does it whole night, not taking good sleep.
She is passing urine 6-7 times in a day (sometimes apply pressure) but as far as toilet is concerned, with pressure, little stool automatically comes out.
She doesnt have blocked nose but has congestion sound in breathing. We give her nasoclear 2-3 times . What do you think why she is getting destressed in the night and sleeps in morning after having formula milk only.
Breast milk is coming, mother feels heaviness. Mother is having good diet, 3 times milk, ghee, dry fruits and no spicy food.
Waiting for your reply, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

This is normal pattern in newborn.It takes few weeks for establishing day night pattern.

Regarding feeding it should be done for 15 to 20 minutes at one times and then repeat after about 2 hours.
It is normal for babies to fall asleep while feeding but they need to be awakened by gentle movements like tickling on sole,on back of ears.
Again I will strongly recommend EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING .As you mentioned mother is having good diet so she should be encouraged to give her feeds because more baby sucks more is the milk production.

Hope this helps.Let me know if there is any further query.
Take care..
Follow-up: 18 days old has fever and cold. What to do? 37 minutes later
Sorry, just one more query.
While breast feeding ,it is rare that she stops feeding herself or give signs that her stomach is full. sometimes she urinate or pass stool then again she asks for milk,but she has to be moved from feeding as she herself doesn't give any sign of satisfaction.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again

Every baby is different and feeding patterns also take some time to be regular.

As i mentioned baby's get adequate feed in 15 to 20 min and yes sometimes after passing urine they do feel hungry,there is no harm in feeding on demand .

Baby is getting sufficient milk when she passes urine 6 to 7 times.

So relax.

Happy parenting!!